John Davis is a founding Member and Attorney at Bibby, McWilliams & Kearney, PLLC. He practices intellectual property law, residential & commercial property law, commercial transactions, and litigation. John's practice focuses on business problems and solutions, including entity creation, mergers, acquisitions, and reorganizations, general business outside counsel, dispute resolution, and corporate strategy.
Dr. Davis represents a broad range of clients from early start-up companies and serial entrepreneurs to private funds as well as publicly traded corporations. Accumulating expertise from his own personal and professional experiences in academic institutions, corporate pharma, sole proprietorships, and now multi-member partnerships, John's clients typically share in his common interests and goals of starting, developing, and successfully managing and expanding businesses.
John completed his Ph.D. in Virology and Gene Therapy at MD Anderson Cancer Center in 2006, subsequently working for a local Houston pharmaceutical company designing and engineering translational medicines and biotherapeutics for cancer and immune disorders. He received his J.D. from South Texas College of Law in 2012.
Prior to working as an attorney, Dr. Davis was a scientist working in oncology, immunology, gene therapy, and genetic engineering. John also is a small business owner, managing and operating an online advertising implementation and optimization company, showing billions of ad impressions a year.
John Davis is licensed to practice law in Texas and in the United States District Court for the Southern, Eastern, Northern, and Western Districts of Texas, as well as the United States Tax Court. He is based in the Houston, Texas, office for Bibby, McWilliams & Kearney, PLLC.
- Lewis & Barnes: Associate Attorney, Commercial Transactions, Intellectual Property, and Litigation
- Patout & Shaw, PLLC: Associate Attorney, Commercial Transactions, Residential & Commercial Property, Landlord/Tenant, Intellectual Property
Representative Litigation and Transactions:
- Temporary and permanent injunctions related to intellectual property infringement, online business disparagement, and partnership disputes
- Claims against infringers, counterfeiters, and cyber-squatters
- Trademark examinations and interactions with the US Patent and Trademark Office
- Applications to turn over judgments and appointment of receivers
- Mediation and settlement negotiations before the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Modification, separation, settlement & release, and adverse reorganization of business entities
- Negotiation of disputes and settlements of residential and commercial real estate property transactions and landlord/tenant agreements
- Landlord representation against residential and commercial tenants in JP, County Court at Law, and related District Court claims
Admissions to Practice:
- American Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association
- Houston Intellectual Property Lawyers Association
- Rice Alliance for Technology and Entrepreneurship
- J.D., 2012, South Texas College of Law
- ADR and Moot Court Varsity
- Advocacy Coach for Domestic and International Arbitration
- Intellectual Property & Technology Law Society: President
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Advocates: President
- Ph.D., Virology, Gene Therapy, 2006, The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
- Dissertation: Generation of an hTERT-restricted, CMV-augmented oncolytic adenovirus capable of tumor-specific transgene expression: Development, characterization, and optimization.
- Multiple first, co-author, and collaborative authorships
- American Society for Gene Therapy: Former Member
- American Association for Cancer Research: Former Member
- B.S. Biology, 2000, Baylor University