Karen Van Holten is Of Counsel to Bibby, McWilliams & Kearney, PLLC. She currently leads her own general practice law firm, focusing on matters related to real estate, oil and gas, estate planning, and business law.
Mrs. Van Holten's diverse experience includes oil and gas law, where she has drafted numerous title opinions for properties in Texas, New Mexico and Ohio. She has also been involved in the analysis and review of complex oil and gas agreements as well as advising clients as to mineral ownership and potential liability under various environmental regulations.
Karen also practices in Estate Planning and Probate, where she has drafted wills and trusts for clients and families adhering to clients’ wishes. In business law, Karen has experience advising clients as to the management and creation of business entities to best maximize asset protection and minimize liability risks. She has assisted clients in the management and resolution of disputes, including drafting and analyzing various agreements related to services and vendor relationships between businesses. Karen is actively involved in the legal and real estate community in and around the Houston, Texas, area, where she regularly presents topics at educational legal seminars to various groups in order to foster community and develop client relationships. She is a qualified Mediator for the State of Texas as well as a Licensed MCE Instructor for the Texas Real Estate Commission.
Karen Van Holten is licensed to practice in Texas, Ohio, and New Mexico. She is based in Katy, Texas, working with the Houston and Denver offices of Bibby, McWilliams & Kearney, PLLC.
- Kilburn Law Firm: Associate and Reviewing Attorney
- Oil & Gas Title Opinions, Original Drilling Title Opinions, Supplemental Opinions, Limited Acquisition Title Reports, Deed Analysis, Joint Operating Agreements, Purchase and Sale Agreements, Farmout Agreements, Assignments and other title instruments affecting surface and mineral estates, royalty interests and developmental interests
- Advised clients regarding complex oil and gas title issues, such as vacancies, HBP acreage, NPRIs, state ownership, pooling problems, liens, complex specially drafted leases, fractured ownership, legal description flaws and probate issues
- Reviewed title opinions prepared by junior attorneys to address legal issue interpretation, ensure accuracy and further firm policies
- Barrett Daffin Frappier Turner and Engel, LLP: Title Evidence Analyst II - Foreclosure
- Examined title evidence to determine ownership including any difficult/complex cases to ensure that the foreclosure of the Deed of Trust vested the client with equitable title
- Resolved problems related to missing, incomplete, inaccurate or contradictory information received and determined levels of risk pursuant to company practices, policies and state regulations
- Capital Title of Texas Garland: Senior National Title Examiner
- Lenders First Choice, Inc.: Senior National Title - Examiner Residential/Commercial
- American Title Company: Escrow Officer/Closer
Admissions to Practice:
- New Mexico Bar Association
- Texas Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Association of International Petroleum Negotiators
- Member of the Drafting Committee for the Australian Joint Operating Agreement – 2012/2013
- Women’s Energy Network
- Fulshear Area Chamber of Commerce – Charter Member
- Chair of the 2014 Charity Golf Tournament
- Katy Business Association
- LL.M, Energy, Environmental and Natural Resources Law, 2009, University of Houston Law Center
- Thesis: Cry Me a River, But Fill It With More Than Crocodile Tears – Recommendations For the Enhancement of American and Australian Environmental Law As Applied to Natural Disasters and Natural Resources
- J.D., 2008, Texas Wesleyan School of Law, now Texas A&M University School of Law
- Phi Delta Phi
- Moot Court Honor Society
- International Petroleum Transactions and Islamic Jurisprudence, 2007, Seton Hall School of Law/American University in Cairo
- B.A., Political Science, 2001, University of North Texas